Speech, language and communication (SLC) skills are critical to children’s development. Being able to speak clearly, process sounds, understand others, think critically and express their ideas are fundamental building blocks to overall development, and educational outcomes later in their lives. SLC skills underpin other areas of children’s development. They enable children to understand and be understood, to build relationships with others, and to learn. Children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have a high risk of difficulties with reading, writing and spelling.
Our ambition is that all children in South Yorkshire begin school ready to thrive. Adults in early childhood education and care can and do make a positive contribution to children’s lives. We firmly believe that it is through a highly skilled children’s workforce that we can support SLC development and identify and address SLCN.
A wide range of Speech, Language and Communication training courses are available to support professionals in the following areas:
- Understand & Identify typical Speech, Language and Communication Development
- Identification and Assessment of Speech, Language and Communication needs
- Learning English as an additional language
- Relationship between SLCN and other Areas of Development
- Support for children with Speech, language and Communication Needs
- The Communication Environment
- Strategies for supporting children and young people with SLCN
- Reflecting on professional development around SLC and SLCN